Third Street Corridor Rehabilitation and Safety ImprovementsApril 24, 2022
The City of San Rafael has begun an extensive 18-month Third Street improvement project to upgrade safety, infrastructure, and traffic needs for this vital thoroughfare. Third Street is a critical component of San Rafael’s transportation network and it serves tens of thousands of residents on a daily basis as they travel to work, school, recreation, and retail destinations. The City of San Rafael received an allocation from the Transportation Authority of Marin (TAM) through the Measure A program to rehabilitate Third Street. While this work will be an inconvenience for the short term, this necessary rehabilitation will dramatically improve the quality of life for the community when completed.
CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITIES SCHEDULED FOR NEXT WEEK (April 25 - April 29):
- Installation of conduit by horizontal directional drilling on 3rd St. and Brooks, and 3rd and Shaver. This work will require removing some sections of the sidewalk to excavate boring pits. Safe pedestrian passage will be maintained around this boring pits. The sidewalk will be temporary patched with asphalt. Also, crews will conduct pothole investigations to locate underground utilities at 3rd St. and Shaver.
- The construction of the retaining wall along 2nd St. between East St. and Miramar will begin. It is anticipated that on the week of April 25th the lanes on 2nd Street will be shifted northward and lane channelizers/delineators will be installed to reestablish lanes in the east and westbound directions. Curb parking will be posted “No Parking.”
- Installation of the new fire hydrant at 3rd and Hayes will be completed. New water service connections for residences and businesses on 3rd from E St. to D St. will be installed. The new water main connection at Cijos will be completed. Trench excavation for new water main tie in will be performed at the intersections of 3rd and Lootens, A St. and E St.
- Traffic Controls (temporary signs, message boards, traffic cones, delineators and detour signs) will be put in place to direct motorists through the work area.
- Curb parking spaces will be marked “No Parking.”
- There will be intermittent lane closures on 3rd Street and detours on A Street, B Street, C Street, D Street, and E Street. For businesses in this section of 2nd Street Ghilotti Bros. Inc., will help facilitate deliveries by providing traffic controls and flagging
- For more construction updates click here