Leaders Circle:


  • Marin Independent Journal San Rafael
  • Infiniti Marin San Rafael
  • Nissan Marin

  • North Bay Biz Magazine San Rafael


  • Pacific Gas & Electric Co San Rafael


  • Marin Sanitary San Rafael

  • Toyota Marin San Rafael

  • Mercedes-Benz Marin San Rafael


  • Linbro Inc. San Rafael

  • Embassy Suites San Rafael


  • Kaiser Permanente San Rafael


  • Bank of Marin San Rafael

  • CPI_RGB_web

  • MV Transportation San Rafael

  • California Film Institute San Rafael


  • Redwood Credit Union San Rafael


  • Marin General Hospital San Rafael

  • Whistlestop San Rafael



  • Autodesk San Rafael


  • BioMarin San Rafael
  • com college of marin
  • craig communications logo


  • Comcast San Rafael

  • North Bay Business Journal San Rafael


  • Peacock Gap Golf Club San Rafael


  • Montecito Plaza San Rafael

  • San Rafael Pacifics Baseball Club

  • Seagate Properties San Rafael


  • Insite Networks San Rafael


  • San Francisco Chronicle San Rafael



  • Bank of America San Rafael


  • Marin Clean Energy San Rafael

  • Western Health Advantage San Rafael


  • Sutter Health Novato San Rafael


  • Eckhoff CPAs and Advisors San Rafael


  • San Rafael Airport LLC
  • fairview capital square
  • Wells Fargo - LC homepage

History of San Rafael

What is now San Rafael was once the site of several Coast Miwok villages in San Rafael, Terra Linda, and Marinwood.History Downtown

Mission San Rafael Archangel was founded in what is now downtown San Rafael as the 20th Spanish mission in the colonial province of Alta California by four priests: Father Narciso Duran from San Jose, Father Abella from San Francisco, Father Gil y Taboada and Father Junipero Serra, the President of the Missions, on Dec. 14, 1817, four years before Mexico gained independence from Spain.

history_mission








The mission and city are named for the Archangel Raphael, the Angel of Healing. The mission was originally planned as a hospital site for Central Valley American Indians who had become ill at the cold San Francisco Mission Dolores. Father Luis Gil, who spoke several native American languages, was put in charge of the facility. In part because of its ideal weather, San Rafael was later upgraded to full mission status in 1822. The mission had 300 converts within its first year, and 1,140 converts by 1828. The Mexican government took over the California missions in 1834, and Mission San Rafael was abandoned in 1844, eventually falling into ruin. The current mission was built in the style of the original in 1949, but faces at right angles to the alignment of the original.

For more information on San Rafael and Marin County history, visit the Marin History museum at www.marinhistory.org and the Marin County Free Library at http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/lb/main/crm/index.html.