Director of Volunteers for LITA (Love is the Answer)Founded in 1975, LITA (Love is the Answer) of Marin is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for older people in Marin by providing volunteer visitors for those living in long term care facilities. LITA promotes friendships that lessen loneliness and social isolation and increases public awareness of the needs of older people in Marin.
The Director of Volunteers is responsible for managing and overseeing a team of volunteers. The DOV is in charge of recruiting, training, scheduling, and supervising the volunteers in addition to some general office work.
Enroll and support volunteers in all of LITA’s programs. Current programs include:
- One-to-One Friends (volunteers visit older adults)
- Pet Connections (volunteer takes pet for visits with older adults)
- Family Connections (family “adopts” an older person and visits them regularly)
- Bridging Generations (program for school children working with older people) (DOV work with a part-time Bridging Generations Coordinator)
- Bridging Thru Music (Musicians perform for older people and/or lead musical activities) (DOV will work with a part-time Bridging Thru Music Coordinator)
- Seniors in the Park (LITA transports older people to Marin County parks for events)
- Virtual visits in collaboration with visit.org
- Caring Connections in collaboration with Vivalon (volunteers visit older people who are homebound in their homes)
Comply with HIPPA and long term health care facility regulations in managing these programs. Will consider a hybrid work schedule.
Status: part time or full time, 30-40 hours per week (depending upon whether duties include school programs or not).
Reporting Relationship: Reports to the Executive Director
- Experience coordinating projects or programs and collaborating with partners to work towards common goals.
- Proficient computer skills in Google Suite (G Suite) or Microsoft Office, including word processing, document email and calendars as well as experience with Excel and Zoom. If experience is in Microsoft Office, ability and willingness to learn G Suite used by LITA.
- California Driver’s License and LiveScan background check
Associate or Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
Experience with Salesforce very helpful
Experienced working with older persons and volunteers
Experience as a teacher and/or experience working in a long-term care facility
Send cover letter, resume and list of four references with contact information to:
Barbara J. Brown
4340 Redwood Hwy. #F-103
San Rafael, CA 94903
Or email materials to email@example.com.
SUMMARY OF KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Program Management
- Respond to requests from long-term care facilities, family members and others requesting LITA matches with residents of long-term care facilities
- Visit and interview residents about their interests, desires and backgrounds to assess whether they would benefit from a LITA friendship
- Work with Activity Directors, Executive Directors and/or other facility administrators to facilitate interviews and matches with residents
- Interview, orient, train and support new volunteers, including pets and family members who would be included in visit.
- Secure background check (for volunteers going into private homes), and check two references before matching volunteers with residents.
- Match volunteers with residents including accompanying them on their first visit.
- Follow up with each new volunteer at regular intervals during their first year.
- Manage office communications (email, phone, drop-ins).
B. Volunteer Management
- Develop and conduct activities to recruit, train, manage, retain and recognize volunteers.
- Provide support to enhance LITA volunteers’ experiences.
- Enter all data into the database system to track active volunteer data.
- Maintain accurate records in order to have information available for grant reporting.
- Ensure program grant requirements are achieved.
- Provide various reports as requested for grants, presentations, etc.
- Pursue professional development and networking by attending MAC (Marin Activity Coordinator) meetings. Attend other workshops/events as requested.
- Regularly communicate with volunteers by writing volunteer newsletters.
- Use social media to inform, support and engage volunteers and prospective volunteers.
- Manage LITA Facebook page.
- Attend staff meetings
- Fulfill other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
LITA is an equal opportunity employer.
No calls please.